Download a copy of the constitution.
- The purpose of the Trust is to acquire the Pier at Sandsayre, Sandwick, Shetland, and its approaches with necessary access thereto and to hold maintain and manage said subjects for the benefits of residents in the Parish of Sandwick who are boat owners.
- The Trust shall consist of seven Trustees of whom the Chairman of the Sumburgh Company Limited and his successor in that Office and the councillor elected to the Shetland Islands Council to represent Sandwick District shall be Trustees ex officiis. The other Trustees shall be elected at a public meeting called for that purpose, and shall hold office for a period of three years. Those eligible for election as Trustees shall be boat owners, or part boat owners, whose names appear on the Register of Electors for Sandwick District. In the event of the death or resignation of an elected Trustee before the expiry of his term of service the remaining Trustees shall have the power to co-opt a person of their choice to serve as Trustee until the expiry of the current period. The persons entitled to vote at the meeting for the election of Trustees shall be the residents within the District of Sandwick whose names appear on the Register of Electors for Sandwick District in the Shetland Islands Area.
- The Trustees may raise funds for the Trust purposes by means of public subscription, sales of work, and other functions as well as by grants from public bodies including The Highlands and Islands Development Board. The Trustees shall also have the power to borrow money upon the security of the Trust property and to grant any necessary security writs.
- The Trustees shall have power to levy and collect dues from persons using said pier and facilities provided by the Trust and such dues may from time to time be prescribed by the Trustees. The Trustees shall also have power to enact rules and regulations for the use of said pier and facilities and to take whatever steps may legally be competent to ensure the observance of such rules and regulations.
- The Trustees shall have full power to administer all funds entrusted to or collected by or borrowed by them and to use the same for the maintenance and improvement of the Trust subjects. The Trustees shall give their services gratuitously, but shall have power (if they in their sole discretion shall consider it necessary or desirable) to appoint a Clerk and Treasurer and to pay him such remuneration as they may consider appropriate.
- The Trustees shall be entitled to effect such policies of insurance as they may consider proper covering them against any claims for loss, injury or damage arising out of or in connection with the use of the property and installations under their charge, and to pay the premiums for such insurances out of the Trust funds.
- The foregoing constitution and rules may be varied or added to from tine to time as circumstances may require provided that any such variations or additions shall be first approved by a majority vote at a public meeting called for that purpose. The persons entitled to vote shall be the same as those who are entitled to vote for the election of Trustees as specified in paragraph 2 hereof.